Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Do You Know When to Edge a Gravel Drive?

Soon the crape myrtles will arc & touch over the gravel lane.


Designing this century old property back-to-its-history the edges of the gravel lane, above, have been designed with extreme concern.  Perhaps you think they are undone?  Not considered?  Messy?  Amazing how subdivision landscape design taints perceptions.  I can see Flannery O'Conner walking down this lane not a curbed concrete ribbon in one of today's subdivisions.
 

Yet, at the end of the crape myrtle lane, above, a parking court is tucked in with neatly clipped hedges & gravel edged with cobblestones.  Formality.  Bang.  Huge garden design decisions not meant to be 'noticed', but, deeply intuited.  Even by those not interested in gardens.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
Pics at jobsite last week.

7 comments:

hidden art of homemaking said...

Tara, I am so glad to see this post..it solves a problem we have had about where to edge a gravel drive and where to leave it natural...your blog is one of my favorites and always informative...so happy for timely posts...
Love, Mona

Terry said...

Yes, "172 Garden Growing Wild" can be Tera-Terry-Turf growing wild.

Merlin said...

I'm all about the cobblestone edging...currently, we're doing it with a spade...arduous! franki

Anonymous said...

BRILLIANT! THAT GRAVEL DRIVEWAY WITH NO EDGING IS GORGEOUS BEYOND!

Knowing when to use the stone edging is also brilliant....and the difference (and there is a BIG difference) between them........is the KEY!!!

You said it. People.......STUDY. Study Tara!

STUDY. I MEAN IT!!

Penelope

Anonymous said...

ps I think Terry has a crush on you! do you know that?

I love the "Tera-Terry-Turf" kinda cute!! Combining!!

He spelled "Tara" wrong...still......kinda cute!

(I can tell there is a "sneaker crush" there!!) just so you know! I am older!!

Penny

La Contessa said...

Its BEAUTIFUL!You definately have the eye......I need to find out where you live!
Please visit me at www.vintagehenhouse.com

Roxane said...

Rather resembles our driveway, messy edges!