Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Help


Milledgeville, GA in the 1960's employed many at its hospital & prison.  Grandad's perk of being a doctor there was a home to live in, no rent, and a full-time maid.  Grandma was asked, "Do you want a thief or murderer?"  
"Once a thief, always a thief." she said.
.
I spent a lot of time with Annie, above.  In the garden mostly.  Grandma made me leave her alone when she napped.  Annie's room, at the back of the carport, had a bed, table, chairs, lamps, chest, throw rugs on the concrete floor, a few things hung on the wall, oscillating fan, curtains at the windows, a door that locked and a screen door.
.
I would peek in the window, often, wanting Annie to be done with her nap.
.
Many afternoons it was only Annie & me at home.  This meant Annie was family.  My parents never allowed me to spend the nite with anyone or had a babysitter for me, ever.
.
Eating lunch one afternoon, Annie letting me lick the silver spoon from the china sugar bowl on the table, I asked Annie why she was in jail.  She said she was in bed and her husband came home late and began arguing with her then messing with her and she asked him to stop.  He started hitting her.  She took the gun from the nitestand and shot him dead.
.
Age 6, I knew this was self-defense.  But it was Georgia ca. 1960's.  
.
Without Annie I couldn't have played in Grandma's garden for so many undisturbed hours.  When I did slow down for a Coke, pie or anything Annie thought I would like I always had Annie's lap, her arms around me and her wonderful voice telling me stories about her own children.  I loved the way she smelled.
.
 My earliest memories of a garden are in Grandma's garden, and I was with Annie.
.
Garden & Be Well,            XO Tara
.

8 comments:

Patti said...

My husband had a nanny named Tiny. He'd sit in her lap while she read to him from the World Book Encyclopedia. She cooked and took care of him during the day while his mother taught school. Tiny and my mother-in-law stayed in touch for many years with Christmas cards and occasional letters. The Help was a great book.

Divine Theatre said...

God Bless You, Annie. I wish I knew you.

Maggie said...

I like this tribute to Annie. It's touching and gives a lot to think about.

Your story was repeated in similar ways all over the South, I'm sure. I was raised from age 14 on in the south. We never had any "help" though :)

I just downloaded 'The Help' to my kindle, but haven't started reading it yet.

Ellen said...

Tara, what a beautiful story. Obviously your grandmother was a good judge of character! Better than the jury, obviously.

Lisa Porter said...

Oh Tara,
I remember what that lap felt like. I remember what those hands looked like. I will always remember the hymns she would sing so quietly when we had no words to say. I cherish, deeply cherish the time. Really we had all the time in the world and we had each other. Cora, just like Annie, was family.
I so appreciate your tribute. Thank you.
Best,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

We have something else in common!

I was raised by a wonderful black woman from the South; Agnes. Then she helped me with my daughter. She was totally family. She lived to be 87!

I begged my daughter to interview her and write about it......when "the Help " was published my daughter called me and said...."someone else wrote it and did a much better job!"

I want to see the movie.....and should I read the book first?

Agnes was a gift beyond compare! And I also had a wonderful, gifted, and nurturing in every way mother!

My father died when I was 4. I was just surrounded by people who encouraged and loved me.


Penelope

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Such a shame that Annie had to pay that price for self defense. However if that hadn't happened you probably never would have known her love and she yours. Such wonderful memories of Annie and being in your Grandparent's garden...something to treasure always.
Maura :)

Barbara Wells Sarudy said...

You are dear.