Wednesday, September 16, 2009

OVERDOSE YOUR THEME

Choose a theme for your landscape and overdose on it. French? Cottage? Conifer? Perennials? Italian? Native? Color? Historical? Japanese? Victorian? Chinoiserie? Focal Point Axis? Paths + Entries? Mid-Century Modern? Lutyens? Jekyll? Vanishing Threshold? Mediterranean? Desert? ??????????
.
My frontdoor, above. Victorian doorknocker a gift from SHIPMEN while they worked in Malta.
.
Yellow? It works well with my red brick which has too much disgusting orange. Painted over previous incarnation, Williamsburg blue. Playing with a chinoiserie pattern. Thought I would paint over the chinoiserie pattern the day it was done. Instead, years later it remains.
.
Does your frontdoor tell me who you are?
.
A frontdoor does not have to be painted your shutter color.
.
What color should your frontdoor be?
.
Choose from your artwork, wall paper, fabrics. Make sure the color works with the exterior colors of your house.
.
"Our lives are about getting the outside to match the inside." Jung
.
My theme? Very English!!
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

3 comments:

lady jicky said...

You have got me thinking about my front door colour.
Its boring!
I really think I need to paint it something different.

Beth Connolly said...

Tara-Since I love Chinoiserie, I painted my shed door Chinese blue and found a great antique Chinese dragon door knocker. My front door is more traditional-black with a brass lion door knocker.

Devon said...

Great point about not matching your shutters. Almost similar to breaking the matching handbag and shoes rule. ;)

I must say though, I have the most terrible time just picking ONE style. I love them all and seem to switch between styles on a daily basis. It's difficult to find one to be most passionate about....perhaps I should simply keep moving to different kinds of houses to try out different styles!