Tuesday, June 16, 2009

BIRTHDAY PICNIC IN THE EVENING GARDEN

He said, It's late but please come to LOLA's birthday picnic. Bring something healthy for about 15. I met LOLA last month lecturing for the Extension Service. Instant GIRL CRUSH.LOLA was growing TARA TURF before we met! Historically correct for her older home. A mix of fescue-moss-clover-what the wind blows in. Never needs water, fertilizer or chemicals. Honeybees love it.
LOLA chose the paint for her bricks and created her own interiors. How to get you the fragrance of this magnolia?

Vanishing Threshold, above, dictates views into a window are pretty in both directions. No backsides of pictures, clocks, or TV.


Do you like still life's too?

About here, above, I thought to myself, This is probably rude leaving the party to wander & take pics without asking. Ha, did I stop?


I knew LOLA wouldn't have paper plates. Or paper napkins.


Gazpacho in the pitcher, Mario Bitalli asparagus (sauteed with garlic/parsley/citrus), fruit salad, cucumber salad, field pea salad.... Wine & beer & tea were in the copper farmhouse sink cradled in ice.


Set into a slight hill the house is crowned with a hardwood canopy of oaks. Captured light, above.




Vanishing Threshold, house & garden, each a seduction of comfort.


LOLA added French doors.

The back garden has 3 terraces.

LOLA really nailed her pot clusters, above. She overdosed, with 3!

Standing at the French doors looking into the garden. A designer planned the garden; contractors put in the stone. LOLA and darling TOM are doing the plantings & maintenance. Exactly the hand-heart-eye a paid maintenance crew cannot provide. The word for it? Charm.

What is a house & garden without a Queen? CHESSIE was in control. She also sweetly gave away a personal tidbit. She's a Daddy's Girl.
.
LOLA & TOM live from the center of their home to the property line. And that darlings is Vanishing Threshold.
.
Stop here if you don't partake of good gossip.
.
LOLA & TOM were married last year in Italy. LOLA invited her 2 best friends. And that is how darling TOM honeymooned with 3 women at a villa in Italy.
.
You bet I'll keep up with this interesting crew.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

5 comments:

Sheila said...

What a charming home and garden! It looks like it was a lovely party!

Terry said...

Super house and garden.

I'm starting to appreciate my "Terry turf" which hasn't seen store bought seed or fertilizer in about 10 years. But sometimes it doesn't look so hot. But if it's good enough for Lola and Tara, I'm in.

Tara Dillard said...

Good enough? Oh so desirable.

And I've done TARA TURF since my first study trip to Europe 15 years ago. Came home wondering why Americans chose the monoculture lawn.

Wow, you are an interesting man, "Terry Turf".
XO Tara

Hollyann said...

I heart painted brick! I've even seen it brushed on thinly to deliberately expose spots of brick. Isn't that what we all want for our gardens--graceful age, gorgeous imperfection? Even if we expedite the process!

And that yard--clover, moss, wind-gifts. I've been doing that for years, but only because I didn't want to dump poisons where my children and pets play. In this, I stand resolutely and proudly alone in my corner of suburbia.

My windchime is out of favor with suburban Barbie and Kens, too--a rusty old cowbell dangling with found beads and old silver ware. Bought from an local crafts fair.

Here's to gardens and homes of the heart. Hollyann

Unknown said...

Nice and very informative post. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Please keep on posting on this topic.
install sod bridgehampton