Wednesday, June 17, 2009

VLADIMIR NABOKOV & DESKS IN THE GARDEN

Colum McCann, in the NY Times yesterday, wrote "the purpose of storytelling is", "to portray ordinary objects as they will be reflected in the kindly mirrors of future times; to find in the objects around us the fragrant tenderness that only posterity will discern and appreciate in far-off times when every trifle of our plain everyday life will become exquisite and festive in its own right: the times when a man who might put on the most ordinary jacket of today will be dressed up for an elegant masquerade." Vladimir Nabokov
Landscapes have always been stories to me.

In a garden there is no waiting for the "exquisite and festive". And that "elegant masquerade"? It's there for the taking in a garden.
.
Those who have found it know the key is in the 'taking' and that is the exact point where grace enters. Oh, that grace. It's a ball of energy, creativity, joy, wit, wealth, beauty, acceptance, forgiveness.
.
More desks, above, in Susanne Hudson's garden. Aren't her desks exquisite, festive, elegant masquerades? She takes the fragrant tenderness of objects around her and spins gossamer magic.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

1 comment:

cotedetexas said...

ok. when i was young and single i got my first pets away from my parents and family. they were all mine and mine alone. two cats - Humbert and Lolita whom I called Lola. Lola ran away and I then got Quilty who had to be replaced with a Quilty II along the way. Sweet Humbert remained with me through my marraige and birth of my child. awwww. Quilty II lived the longest though. Since I married, I'm now onto dogs whom my husband names after hall of famers:
Reggie - a girl
Willie - a girl
Georgie - a girl
Sammie - a girl = all named after hall of famers Sammie Sosa, George Herman Ruth, Reggie Jackson, Willie Mays!!!!

I like my cats theme better.