Saturday, December 21, 2019

Odd Ministry: Interior Potted Plants

Finally, tipped across the line.  Again.
.
This house, below, did it.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

Plants in terra cotta pots, everywhere.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

Scaled and shaped, the pots, and the pots with the plants, in joy.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

Since watching PBS British murder mysteries, beginning early 80's, I locked on the terra cotta planted pots sprinkled liberally inside houses, offices, public buildings.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

This home has remained in my head, days since first seeing it.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

First, imagining the planted terra cotta pots will be the major focal point of my Christmas decorations next year.  And using moss at the rim of the pots, with a bit of sparkle.  Probably small leaded crystal pieces from broken chandeliers.  The type sold for decades, and never bought.  My bad.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

How to get top results with first efforts?  Don't know, making it up as I go.
.
Here's the plan.
.
Draw a layout of our house, make several blank copies, walk thru the house designing for planted pot placements.  Notate sizes needed & types of plants speaking their way to reality in each of the pots.

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux

Finally, why wait till next Christmas?

Habitually Chic® » The Halls are Decked: Part Deux
Pics, above, here.

Once the Potted Plant Interior Design is completed, I'll peruse my terra cotta pot collection, not insignificant, and bring the-chosen-ones inside, all to a single large table.
.
Only easy interior plants will be used, none that get spider mites, fungus, scale.  Willing to go 'boring' for top performance.
.
Will keep the plants in plastic pots, set into the terra cotta pots, with a bit of Spanish moss to cover the plastic.  Must be easy.
.
Decades of wanting to do this.  Seeing the house, above, shazaaaam, tipped to action.  Don't understand it, taking it as another life gift.
.
Wickedly, hope the house, above, has tipped you too.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO T
.

Pic, above, here.
.
And, the Garden said, "Bring me inside."
.
 
Pic, above, here.
.
And, the Garden said, "Plant me in pots, give them away.  Let it be a ministry."
.
 Rest amidst the storm - Ben Pentreath Inspiration
Pic, above, here.
.
And, the Garden said, "I'm always talking to you. Whether you hear me or not."
.
 little augury
Pic, above, here.
.
And, the Garden said, "I love you."
.
Notice I'll be drawing a layout, carefully choosing pots, designing the correct plant shapes/sizes for each spot on the drawing?  Seems so easy to site interior plants, right?
.
Never done it, but not fooled.  When they look good, it's a talented brain/eye/heart doing the interior plants.
.
As they say in LA, Lower Alabama, "Don't rush the monkey, you'll get a better show."
.
And, the Garden said, "Stewardship awaits, you'll take it as the armor of God, without weight, without effort."
.
More than bringing plants into my interiors  I'm bringing the full weight of my garden.  Why does that matter?  I leave the world, walking into my garden, and it's my world the garden helps me understand.  How is it, I cannot see the alertness of my garden, yet feel its waves thru my body?
.
Outside my garden there is false strength to keep at bay hard facts and hard truths and hard wisdoms not yet accepted.  Inside my garden there's a private line of communication.  Dribbling bits of those hard truths, in so much love, there is no hesitation, none, no anguish, in taking the message, leaving old ways of thinking.  Redemption can be that fast.  And, easy.  Outside my garden those redemptions have little chance of being seen, or heard, much less, taken.
.
More than a few potted plants inside.  I need their loving ministry.

7 comments:

Penelope Bianchi said...

I have always loved terra cotta pots inside....especially mossy ones.
wonderful pictures!

I love forcing hyacinths; and just had a great indoor begonias! "Clara"!!

fairkaye said...

Thanks, Tara. You have no idea how much freedom you've just handed me. I've been wasting time and money looking for perfect decorative cachepots for each spot in my house where plants can live. Now I'm free to find the plants first and worry about additional accouterments either later or never. K

Dewena said...

Tara, this post has made me deliriously happy all three times I've read it in this busy last week. It began each time you would blog about plants in a window, on an old table. Do you mind if I consistently want to copy you? I can't help it, you always make it seem possible to bring more beauty into my own little home.

A late Merry Christmas to you, dear Tara, and many blessings in 2020,
Dewena

Kare said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Love this post. It is nice to have something I have done for years reaffirmed. Foe me it was the easiest way to bring Christmas indoors.Here is my list: Christmas cactus, Amaryllis, poinsettias, evergreen trees, narcissus bulbs. Always orchids!
Karen

Penelope Bianchi said...

HI Tara!

Drat! I have not been getting all your blog posts......I have to search. And I find! That is the good news! You will know exactly where to put pots and plants in side your lovely farmhouse. Just like the landscaping outside! Same exact theories!

Love this blog, and all of them. Now searching for any I have missed!

Penelope Bianchi said...

ps I have left lots of comments....never saw one published nor sent to me. It isn't important, just for your information!

Elizabeth McILwain said...

You are a poet! Thank you for the lovely, thoughtful, and wide exposition. You have gained a new reader in me!