Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Watering Cans: Leverage Time/Effort

Took me several years to acquire an interesting watering can collection.
.
Interesting, and affordable.
.
Once hunted/gathered/sited I learned they were more important as 'helpers', they leverage time/effort.
.
2-4 months each summer are hot/drought.  I don't want, or like, a landscape that must be meticulously maintained, or watered.  However, there always seems to be plantings that are young/not established yet against extreme hot/dry.  Those plantings are never begrudged early nurturing.
.
Having the watering can collections in prime dry positions, it's an easy pour & go.  Seeing something dry never happens when time is luxurious, dry plantings await my exodus meeting a tight timeline, then announce their thirst.  Every time, it seems.
.
No worries.  The watering cans are full.
.
Mosquitoes not an issue, the water never stays in long enough for breeding.  At leisure they are filled, in a rush poured.
.
Along with Tess, my car, the watering cans are my top employees.

.:

Pic, above, here.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara

3 comments:

Maria Killam said...

Funny that you should post this, I was just looking at some baby perennials my gardner showed up with the other day thinking "Really?? Why did you do that in the heat of summer!!" too much maintenance!
I'll have to get my watering can out!
xoxo
maria

Aunt Ronda said...

After all your years of experience, do you have any recommendations for the best outdoor watering can? Thanks!

Tara Dillard said...

Aunt Ronda, Never thought of myself as a watering can expert of 'type'. However, after decades of serious gardening, I know I like metal cans. The plastic end up breaking, somehow. I'm hard on stuff.

Feed & seed stores, Ace hardware......most sources are so ugly.

Of course antique shops/fairs.

Enjoy your hunt. XOT