Monday, May 9, 2016

Last Question of Garden Design, "What Plant Goes Here?"

Often, it's not the garden needing a new design, it's the house.
.
"How many French doors are they getting?", is the common joke question from my team when I get a new client.
.
Two bays & a French door added, below.  How could they not be there?
.
P1000705

Pic, above, Ben Bentreath, who captioned it, "I designed the stone bay window which we built five years ago - turning an otherwise dark room into a much lighter space that connects into the garden with a huge south facing bay (and making a tiny upstairs bedroom a lot larger at the same time)... a simple but effective extension. It's mellowing in nicely now."

Vision Questing a commercial site with a new client, (actually new project - old client), it is obvious the long-long-long cluster of buildings built in different eras will need several pairs of urns atop several pairs of corners.  Cannot wait to source the urns to their proper era for the buildings.

P1000726

"What plant goes here?", is the expectation.  Plants are the last to be Vision Quested in garden design.
.
Having a 'real' life means I'm sometimes stuck in social situations with prototypical Earthling's, you know, zero care for Nature.  If they discover what I do for a living the 'landscape' around their home pops from their mouth, with the ubiquitous finale, "What plant should I put there?"
.
Their question, I have no answer for.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T

2 comments:

La Contessa said...

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE.................but YOU will SET THEM STRAIGHT!XX

Linda said...

Can't wait to see the results of this project Tara, having been to Petersham, I can't think of a more beautiful reference point to base your plans/ideas on, exciting!

Linda