Friday, October 9, 2015

Save Money: Do Not Replace Old Windows

Looking into your windows, from the garden, is a major element of Garden Design.
.
Look into a window & see the back of a TV?  Not in my realm.
.
Moving into a ca. 1900 American farmhouse, we were fortunate it retains every original window.
.
Apparently Beloved thought our windows would not remain.  Instead, vinyl double glass energy efficient would be installed.  Really?
.
Not in my realm.
.
Yesterday, voila, found the math allowing me to keep every wavy lined leaded glass pane.  And save on energy costs.  Prior to this new information all I could tell Beloved was Jane Austen could not have written her books, looking thru energy efficient windows.


Marjorie Sholes with cat in the window   Photo by William H. Manahan, Jr  early 1900’s

From an article, here, written by, Keith Haberern Professional Engineer, R.A. Chairman: Collingswood,NJ, Historic District Comm.

♦ U value of a single pane window (that old wood window): 1.10
 ♦ U value of a single pane window combined with a storm window: 0.50
 ♦ U value of an expensive new double pane thermal replacement window: 0.58
.
 (remember that the lower the U value the better. You will note that your old wood window combined with a storm window is about 15% more energy efficient than that new replacement window. Those new windows will cost you, not save you money.)
.
So I don’t have storm windows, the ads say I can save big bucks and lots of energy by replacing those “old” wood windows with replacement windows- right? My “old” windows have beautiful wood and wavy antique glass but they must be costing me a bundle?
.
 ♦ Yearly energy saving between a single pane window and a new double pane thermal replacement window (on one 3’ x 5’ window): 625,922 Btu
 ♦ Annual savings per window if using gas heat at $0.95/therm: $9.65/ year
 ♦ Simple payback if you assume a decent replacement window will cost $400 installed: $400/ $9.65 year = 41 ½ years!!
.
 (Not a good investment. You would do better by putting your money in a bank savings account! Also remember that as most thermal replacement windows will have a life span of 15 to 20 years, they will not last long enough to pay themselves off.)

Never, I repeat, NEVER replace historic wooden windows with new vinyl "energy saving windows," that's a load of BULL!  Get a good window restorer out to repair your windows, and add storm windows if you have none already.  Here are some more helpful tips.  Remember, wavy glass = (REALLY SUPER OLD NEARLY IRREPLACEABLE) antique glass.  Virtually priceless.:
Pic, www.OldHouseWeb.com.
.
Another story, from the same link, below.
.
When faced with $12,000 for replacing 21 existing windows in his own house, Don Hartley, Utah State Historical Society architect, figured a 77 year payback on the so-called “investment.” Instead he refinished, weather-stripped and added storms for $5000. and took $7000 to the bank. See the full article, WHEN YOUR WINDOWS WANTATTENTION .
.
New windows are not meant to be repaired when they die.  Merely replaced.
.
And, storm windows don't look like they did when I was a child, they've grown up too.
.
Garden & Be Well,     XO Tara

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beloved is a lucky duck. At the mere mention of "replacement windows" that you described.......I would have shrieked ....."EWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and run out of the house!

Thank the Lord you used reason and reality to convince him. I hope you will not have to prove too much more! His house you fixed to sell...your house....and this house and your plans for it!

You deserve all the respect and trust anyone can give with anything aesthetic!

Brava!!

Penelope

La Petite Gallery said...

Thanks for the info. Tara, I worry about the NEW Americans,
(new Generation).They are "I want it Now!" It's a greedy
selfish Generation, besides being very dumb. They have no scruples
and want more money and do as little as possible.
The work ethic is so bad.
They have no time to read or research. The upcoming election
scares the hell out of me.
Dummies on the loose.
yvonne---- Great post

Sheila @ Maison de Cinq said...

Hi Tara,

I recently found your blog through my friend Cindy Hattersley's blog (it was recommended on her home page) and I just had to comment on this post you did about windows as my husband and I were JUST discussing this yesterday! We are both big fans of repairing, not replacing, and we both love vintage. We've refinished hardwood floors, cabinets, etc, but for some reason when we needed to replace the old metal windows in this house when we moved in (which really are awful and rattled, etc, so had to go), we only did half of them in wood. I wanted to do all wood, however, was talked out of it by both our contractor and my husband who thought doing vinyl upstairs for "energy savings", better insulation, etc, was the better way to go. Can I just say that they have leaked every year since putting them in! They don't look great either, of course, and will need to go to a landfill eventually, which makes my stomach hurt. However, our wood windows are going strong. They don't leak and seem better insulated. All we've had to do is repaint them a few times and basic maintenance, but as you said, these should last for many, many years, which I love. Not to mention that they are sooo much prettier! (and my husband has learned the hard way:))

I can't thank you enough for putting this out there! I wish more people knew the math.

Thanks again for posting this. You have a lovely blog and I have enjoyed reading it!

Best,
Sheila

www.maisondecinq.blogspot.com