Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Boxwood Fungus: We No Longer Design/Plant Boxwoods

Gardening is a safe lover to give your heart to.  She asks for everything you've got, in the wildest seduction.  Layers of intellect, strength, spirit, & more, you give.  Garden gives back, wildly, beyond measure.  A dirty lover, Garden dresses you in her garb, soil, foundation of life.  Bathing Her off, is privilege.
.
Like cows in Pasture, Nature smiles at us on her Pasture.  We plant into Garden, we gussie her up with paths, houses, pots, benches, arbors, lighting, yet nothing compared to Garden's creations.  Think Grand Tetons, for starters.
.
Fortunate souls tap into Garden's love, gaining insight, energy, answers, ideas, calm, the list is long.   Alexander Pope, ca. 1625, said it best, "God Almighty first planted a Garden."  We should do less?
.
Susanne Hudson, her garden, below, called a few days ago, her boxwoods, over 300+ so far, dead/removed, due to the boxwood fungus.  Sharing her story, the facts of infection to death/removal, a timeline of many weeks.
.
A few questions, then I said, "They are your sanity", "I know", she said.  Susanne is a matriarch, easily giving of her time/talents/grace to elderly parents, siblings, children & grandchildren, even her town.  Watering her boxwood, tapping into her relationship with Garden, has been the nurturing of sanity, calm, taking life's yoke with Garden, "my yoke is easy and my burden is light".     



Pic, above, by Tara Dillard, Susanne Hudson's garden, here.

Madison Cox Design:

Pic, above, Madison Cox Design, here.

Little House - Barnsley, Cotswolds; I love my little English cottages!:

Pic, above, Pinterest, here.
.
I will not design or install boxwoods for clients until there is a cure found for boxwood fungus.
.
No garden exists at our ca. 1900 American farmhouse.  Beloved & I have heated discussions about every Garden choice, except one, from the first, we knew 4 huge boxwoods would be bought from our supplier in North Carolina, and planted at the front porch.  No expense spared.  And, the only purchase at our new home with, "No expense spared", as an expectation.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara

14 comments:

cindy hattersley design said...

That is really interesting Tara. I have not heard of it here on the West Coast. I am sure if it is there it will be here at some point. Boxwood plays a big role in my garden.

Jean Campbell said...

This is truly troubling. So sorry for Suzanne's loss of such beautiful plants.

http://americanhort.theknowledgecenter.com/library/Americanhort/docs/government%20relations/boxwood%20blight/NCSU_boxblight_tolerance.pdf

Lori Buff said...

Oh, how heart breaking for Susanne. I guess she will just have to see this as an opportunity to plant something new and hopefully, equally as loved.

Ashley said...

Does this apply to all boxwoods? I have a mix of american and english and no problems yet with blithe. This is a sad thing to hear as I would struggle if I did not have boxwoods in my garden. I have just started my formal area and of course it is planted with an english boxwood hedge.

I see you are in Stone Mountain? I have been following you for a while on pinterest and was shocked you are so close to me. I am in Monroe. Just headed toward Athens from you. Love seeing your blog :)

Ashley said...

Boxwood Blight. Sorry for the incorrect spelling.

Vera said...

How very disheartening. :(

So what will your recommend your clients plant instead of boxwoods?

Vera

momma said...

I was chatting with a nurseryman here in NC, and he mentioned pachysandra was a carrier, I had not heard this before. Again we discussed nursery propagated stock, and what a travesty it is if the fungus takes hold.

Anonymous said...

I doubt you remember my azalea that was my mother's and was 60 years old? I will send another pic.

It got a fungus! There are a few branches left at the very bottom.....good thing I took 500 pictures of it!

SOB!!!

I don't know about back there.....but there has been explosion of "meatballs" just meatballs everywhere....willy,nilly boxwoods......fields of them. Oh dear.

Penelope


ps round ones....everywhere....spaced apart. Like meatballs spread on plates. Yuck!

My Life of Domestic Bliss said...

I had just bought 3 boxwoods ..... returned them quicker than you can say "vanishing threshold". So bad ... I do love those boxes. Thanks for the heads up.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

OH NO! I just told a client that she should plant them in her back yard here in the Bay Area. I'd better call her.

cotedetexas said...

wow. that is awful!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing here
I am very happy to read your review
I hope you give a useful topic for everyone


Obat Pembesar Penis

Ciri Vimax Asli

Khasiat Vimax

Cara Memperbesar Penis

Hukum Memperbesar Penis

Vimax Asli

Alat Pembesar Penis

Ciri Vimax Asli

Khasiat Vimax

Cara Memperbesar Penis

Toko Alat Bantu Sex

Jual Alat Bantu Sex

Alat Bantu Sex Pria

Alat Bantu Sex Wanita

Dildo

Alat masturbasi Pria wanita

Alat onani

Alat Sex Murah

Alat Sex Berkualitas

Jean Campbell said...

Low mounds of Iberis sempervivens are a possible evergreen choice for edging a potager.

Here's a link to a blog post that lists a number of choices for hedges used on the west coast.

http://krispgarden.blogspot.com/2015/10/foliage-follow-up-hedges.html

Dewena said...

But that is terrible! I've always wished we had whole gardens of boxwoods, only had one large one at a house years ago and I loved using it for Christmas arrangements. Sometimes it seems as if every plant I loved in my childhood now has some disease threatening it.