Wednesday, October 2, 2013

'No' is Design's Important Tool

As designed, below.  Orchard wall & gate copied from centuries of history.  Why figs?  Huge, ancient, figs are nearby, using the design tool of repetition.
.
A more important design tool than repetition I used, 'no'.
.
You think a Garden Designer is hired to put things into your landscape?  The most important thing I do is keep things OUT of your landscape.
.
'No' isn't only about simplicity/expense it encompasses impact-elegance-sustainability.  Beautiful historic landscapes incorporate the least amount of care creating the maximum amount of pollinator habitat, with aesthetics too.  Providence has huge wells of aesthetics, so it's allowed us too.  Grand canyon, Niagara Falls, Edisto Island, Alaskan sunset.    


At my desk, below, I listen to the site.  Every site speaks, I call the language 'gardenese'.  It's easy to tell clients, "No, that won't work because....."  Every client consultation is intense visually & listening deeply.  Their long list of desires must be edited.  I try hard to keep the deepest 'wants' using 'no' to get there which increases the impact.

.
My favorite place to be, above, my desk.
.
Drawing a garden's language.  Seeing, listening. 
.
Garden & Be Well,     XO Tara
.
Pics at jobsite last month.  

3 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Notice the play of shadow and sunlight on the grass beneath the gate. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

It really is DIVINE!

Please tell us about "pollinator habitat"!!

XXOO

Penelope

mamacita said...

"Elegance is refusal."