Friday, December 2, 2011

Gardening With Dogs

Georgia red clay, white dog, below, and a contractor
needing to get a load of mulch spread.  FAST.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
How to landscape with dogs?  Pay attention to their habits & assume every plant is toxic.  Where a dog runs, digs, lays rarely changes.  Incorporate it into the design.  Toxic plants?  I worry more about little sticks or rocks being eaten and twisting the intestines.  If azaleas, camellias and hydrangeas, along with native plants, were extremely toxic the South would be known for a lot of dead dogs.  Hence, use plants long known to be used with dogs in the yard.
.
A client sent the pic to my contractor !

8 comments:

Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin said...

Thanks for keepin' it real, Tara! LOL

La Petite Gallery said...

Tara, I never thought about twigs, my Thor used to chew them. Thanks for the tip I almost planted a rose bush in his back yard, but I thought of the thorns and his eyes,, Good tips.

Yvonne

Brenda Pruitt said...

Yes, Tara, totally agree! And good for you for thinking of the occupants of the home that can't speak for themselves.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Excellent advice!! We have to work around the needs of ALL the family members..

Welcome back girlfriend.

Jeo Fazzio said...

Good post.. Thanks for the share...

--
Modern Furniture

Connie in Hartwood said...

What a fabulous pic ... and great advice.

Unknown said...

Ahhh...how cute!! Please come join a giveaway on my blog.....I would love to see you enter!
Daisy~

Renée Finberg said...

hahahahah
don't ya' just love em' !!??