Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Turning A Hedge Into Entries

For decades I've designed gardens. What I know for sure? It's not about the plants. By the time someone contacts me they are in a new chapter of life, sometimes a new book. Are they aware? Mostly, no.
.
When the garden is born again, their life is changed.
.
My job is to "capture the humanity of what is under way".
.
Myriad times I've taken 1-2 plants out of a hedge & put in a path. Creating 2 entries instead of 2 dead-ends. Isn't the vocabulary stunning? Entries vs. dead-ends.

Then, it happened to me. A hedge in front of my home became entries.

Within the new hedge/entry a potager became a gravel terrace with adirondack chairs, a place to have lunch, talk on the phone, eat breakfast, read, sit still waiting for hummingbirds to fly so close I can hear their wings. And the Chinese snowball blossoms drop their petals in benediction of the foxgloves, above, about to bloom next.
.
How could I know when the entry was born I would have a new room to LIVE in? And I had entered a new chapter.
.
It's easier to see a new chapter in a client's life.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Pics taken in my garden last week. I've done more than the Bay Terrace the past year. A Conservatory, Tea Olive Terrace, Natchez Terrace. Though I didn't know it while creating these garden rooms they have given me the strength to finish a book in my life.

4 comments:

Cher' Shots said...

I LOVE IT! I have a few plants that need some attention - they were planted in too much shade and too sandy of soil before we bought this place. I have a couple of HUGE terra cotta pots that will be perfect for them! THANKS for sharing the idea.
'hugs from afar'

Anonymous said...

You are so right. It is not about the plants. Its all about creating a setting for a lifestyle.
How often are you told by a client at the first meeting which plants they prefere? Happens to me all the time.... we talk spaces for entertaining, or contempaltion and I'm reminded "don't forget... I love Holyhocks!"
New Book in your life?.... Do tell all!

Bruce Barone said...

I wonder if it is possible for you to consult with us via email and photos?

Meanwhile, I had the idea to place our small pedestal grill in the garden; I'll send you a diagram.

Desert Dweller said...

Si! By the time a designer works to make the function work beautifully (and meeting codes, clear sight triangles, etc), the plantings become what they are, not the only thing. Though I will say creating a strong sense of place w/ plants is very important here, to me at least.

Cool stuff, P. Barbuda.