Monday, January 3, 2011

Front Porch: Before & After

3 decades of ugly, below, a single step to the front door & porch. A limitation to the eye & foot. Remove the limitation, below, open the porch to proper scale.
The new terrace caresses the porch on the left, below, and
right, below.
A new front door, paint colors & light fixtures are next. Of course the downspouts will be
painted Sherwin-Williams Best Bronze. Look again at the dreadful white downspouts.
.
Stay tuned, there is furniture for the flagstone terrace and plantings to go in.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Pics taken last week. Can't wait to see this finished project. We've done a stone terrace in the backyard too and a neo-rondel in the orchard.

11 comments:

Terry said...

I love ground level porches. Passes the "can grandma get to the front door" test.

Dianne said...

The shutter that can't be closed because of the porch roof beam bothers me as does the one shutter. Will that be corrected?
Can't wait for the finished photos.

Unknown said...

Such a simple solution, and yey, SO perfect! I can't wait to see it completed!

Desert Dweller said...

NICE improvements, dare I say "Taralicious"? Including what you might do w/ column bases overhanging their concrete band. It is now worthy of a morning coffee and pastry...

Kathy said...

Looks amazing so far..please show photos of the complete project when done...especially the painted downspouts (never considered that)...K

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Tara what a difference! It's wonderful how the added area opens up that front entry....just beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the down spouts painted. Enjoy your day!
Maura :)

Bruce Barone said...

It is looking so beautiful, Tara!

saysab said...

Wow, looks beautiful!! What a difference!

Susan said...

I love the way you raised the grade and reduced the number of steps. The design looks great. What a nice use of the front, which is always nice when you can really make use of it.

I'm assuming that's bluestone. What did you fill the joints with?

Kate said...

Do you have an update on this project? My house is the same exact style, and I'm considering painting my downspouts the same color. I'd love to see what you did with this house. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What is it with painting the downspouts the color of the trim?? EEEEK!!! They need to be painted to "go away!" Who wants to accentuate the downspouts????

No shutters are better than shutters that couldn't possibly work; do you think? "Falsies"!

I better be careful being critical; I think I have some "leggy hags" on my driveway!
What a beautiful job on these front porches!!