Monday, October 4, 2010

Man vs Crew vs DIY

Susanne Hudson & I chose the site, theme, materials & designed our Garden Conservatory, below, for the Penny McHenry Hydrangea Festival last spring in Douglasville, GA.We also had this man, below.
Fluid of movement. Body, clothes, tools, materials, site, social skills, sense of humor, (pleasing 2 exacting women), decades of experience &, most important, intellect.
.
He surpassed expectation (we knew he would), came in under budget, ahead of schedule & worked alone aside from Suzanne & I doing our girlie best.
.
The other gardens created for the festival? Each, created with crews of men & heavy equipment.
.
Our man? Last of the Mohicans.
.
It was an honor to watch him work.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
In my garden I'm mostly DIY, in my dreams I have the skills of this man.

7 comments:

Jojo said...

It's so sad but the older I get, I realize that my dreams are MUCH more capable than my body, especially when it comes to my physical abilities. These life shifts just make me appreciate the accomplishments of others even more.

Connie in Hartwood said...

I am still completely, thoroughly, in love with this conservatory. Photos of it make me weak in the knees ... really. Here in Hartwood, we have our 'Elden' (a reference to Murphy Brown's painter) that we use for everything imaginable. He started by completely restoring our old barn, and moved on to prepping large gardens, building my greenhouse, infinite smaller jobs. It's important to have someone we trust to fulfill the promise of the visions in our heads, when those tasks are beyond us for whatever reason.

La Maison Fou said...

I am the same way, not only do I like to figure it out, but I take great pleasure in the DIY project.
Thank you for the peek, this garden room is great.
L.

Blayne Macauley said...

That is so beautiful!! I can't believe it!

home before dark said...

This man should be the first human cloned. Civilization demands it! How lucky for you to watch an artist at work.

Kathy said...

WOW! I just love it! Usually these type of events come off smarmy and expensive. Your set-up is just right. Totally do-able....I'm thinking of hijacking a few of your ideas! Thanks for sharing. K

Maura @ Kisiwa Creek Photography said...

Good help is hard to find...and this fellow sounds like a gem. There's sure not many of them out there. Love that space you designed!
Maura :)