Monday, September 20, 2010

Speaking in Stone

Miss Texas sent a pic of her home. Quickly, I noted her stone edging was too horizontal. Accentuating the many horizontal lines of her home. Contrast was needed. (Of course it didn't hurt that I've studied in Scotland, seeing master templates for dry stone work.)
.
Miss Texas sent this delightful pic, above.
.
It's obvious her son is an organic Stone Whisperer. Pulling stones aside while placing the 'right' stones perfectly. Did he realize the stones were speaking to him?
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
When I coach DIY clients about their stone some look at me as if I were crazy high on drugs when I say, "Stone tells you where top, bottom, back, front are." Others TOTALLY understand. Are you a Stone Whisperer?

8 comments:

Terry said...

Oh, my back.

home before dark said...

But of course. When you get in rhythm laying stones, the right stones just appear. And sometimes when the stone doesn't fit, turn it upside down or side to side. The stone knows its right place.

Karena said...

Tara how much a difference it makes! I always marvel at stone walls and edgings!

Come and see...I have a new Giveaway from the French Basketeer That I think you will love!

Karena
Art by Karena

Desert Dweller said...

Rocks DO sort of speak to us - great example. I think it comes from holding them, the feel of where they "need" to be, plus their look & shape.

Crazy = how some of my designs morph once I stick flags in the ground for various plants, and I know where they need to adjust to...off of a colored flag!

Christine B. said...

Hello,

Fellow stone whisperer here. You know you have it bad when you drive by a place with large stones and imagine how you would reset them. I do this all the time. Only because landscapers here place stone like it is either landing from outer space or a hotel on the Monopoly game board. I want to drive by at installation and yell,"You've got to dig it in!"

My theory is rocks/stones are like icebergs. You should only see the top 1/3.

Christine in Alaska, with lots of stones nestled happily into the garden

Vava (aka Virginia) said...

"Miss Texas" here! Stone Whisperer son will LOVE this. I have gotten compliments on the change. Who'd a thunk it? Only The Master Stone Whisperer! :)

Kellie Collis said...

This is a wonderful tip you've shared! Charming name too - Stone Whisperer. Have a lovely day, Kellie xx

Lisa Porter said...

I became a hard core stone whisperer when we moved to Lexington Ky almost 10 years ago. I fell madly in love with all the dry lay stone war walls that still line many of the beautiful properties here in the Bluegrass.
Miss Texas is soooooo lucky to have a son who enjoys this. It is both back-breaking & beautiful when done right!
Great post,
xo Lisa