Thursday, August 12, 2010

Trusting the Vernacular

The 1st barn was interesting. An hour later & dozens more, just like it, I realized they were a local vernacular. Roofing, pitch, boards, color, economical, enduring.
Buy land in Elk Horn, Kentucky? I would trust the vernacular & build the same type of barn.
.
Years of trying to recreate the wheel are over. Landscape design is copying, building upon what is proven to work. Knowing, counterintuitively, when I recapitulate ideas into another landscape a new wheel is, indeed, created. Without thought or effort.
.
It takes courage to tap into the energy of other beautiful landscapes. To copy.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Pics taken last weekend in Elk Horn, Kentucky. I saw Providence on display both nites, The Milky Way bathing me in light (not seen since the 1970's.) Mature, peak of bloom Joe Pye weed coated in butterflies so thick the blossoms were obscured. Taking the pics I saw a fresh smashed frog in the road, in front of the barn, above, with a butterfly taking nutrients from it. Butterflies are drawn to fresh feces, are they drawn to fresh entrails too?

3 comments:

Queenplinker said...

ALL that stone, weathered wood, and creek as clear as gin. Just amazing! A wonderful palette to work with.

You have got be having fun with this one.

Have a great day..with rain :0)
Lynea

Helen said...

Returning to what works ... to our roots! Lovely post.

La Petite Gallery said...

I love dogs and you just made me think of Capri. They had tile mosaic water containers with a
Faucet above it,, For Dogs..

yvonne