Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Piquant

He's 68, retired, & living his dream on 10 acres of Kentucky heaven. A mix of rich character. Living as a conservative, voting liberal, spending as Jesus would. By hand, and alone, he's building this drystack stone wall behind his home.
Stone is gathered from his stream after storms.
Of course there's a gorgeous woman in this story. Queen of the realm. She rules thru culinary skill, aesthetics, intellect, humor, experience, wisdom, patience, & love.
.
What stories are in your landscape?
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Pics taken in Kentucky last weekend. Have always had a piquant fascination for old stone walls. Wanting to know when they were built, who was the builder, know the 'life' swirling while the wall was being built.

3 comments:

Terry said...

My latest, maybe last, amateur rock moving job resulted in finger surgery. But no stones were injured.

Rob (ourfrenchgarden) said...

Love it, the whole working with stone thing.

I've embarked on projects here in a similar vain, reclaiming the stone from nearby fields.

That dry stone wall looks good. In fact it looks more than good, it's fabulous.

home before dark said...

I survived Geology I at the Univeristy of Oklahoma and made a bargain: let me pass this class and I'll never look at another rock again. Well I passed, but when I turned 40, I fell in love with stone. I have terraced my entire sloping yard with stone terracesand built two stone staircases. I have learned the secret to stabilty is to backfill each layer with packed gravel. It is zen-like work of sorts. I salute the gentleman rock layer for his work. He and she sound truly wonderful.