Wednesday, August 12, 2009

GARDEN ROOMS

"So impertinent -- yet the house "did," for it was the home of people who loved their surroundings honestly."
.
My garden is tiny. The gable, below, crowning my head while I type. Crepe myrtles for shade, fragrant tea olive crenellations along the cleyera hedge. (No grass it's my neighbor's frontyard!) "Italy is heroic, but Greece is godlike or devilish -- I am not sure which, and in either case absolutely out of our suburban focus."

My gate, below, delicately tucked into the hedge, always open.
A chair, below, just past the gate

in my potager. A room within a room. Studying in Europe many times yet, I travel farthest in my garden.

Near the chair an altar, above.
.
"Life is easy to chronicle, but bewildering to practice, and we welcome "nerves" or any other shibboleth that will cloak our personal desire. She loved Cecil; George made her nervous; will the reader explain to her that the phrases should have been reversed?"
.
LOL, it is my garden explaining these things to me.
.
Once, my garden informed me about a thorny topic, Tara dear your confidence is a masquerade for fear. A changed perspective allowing me to make a better choice and leave the fear behind.
.
I'm never bored in the rooms of my garden.



My office window, above, overlooking a garden room. Do you think I ever see my neighborhood?
.
I set out to create garden rooms and instead created a world.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Quotes from A Room with a View by E.M. Forster




4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Love your open gate and garden rooms!

Carolyn

the gardener's cottage said...

Your confidence is a masquerade for fear. I love this post. It is so personal and poetic. Thank you for sharing.

Janet

Brenda Pruitt said...

I live in a garden home, which means my yard borders on my neighbor's brick wall. I love my little piece of nature, and have made it into a certified wildlife habitat. It isn't that big, but I have herbs and a small pond. And decks have just been built. Hardscaping is being strategized. So happy to have found you.
Brenda

Topsy Turvy said...

What a beautiful world you have created! I hope to add some tea olives to my own landscape - their fragrance is amazing.

–Lana