Thursday, July 23, 2009

URBAN LANDSCAPE: CHICKENS & HONEY BEES

A dozen years ago LAWYER didn't know herbaceous from deciduous. Now, he's an urban pioneer in his landscape.
.
LAWYER designed his chicken coop, it uses new & reclaimed materials.
URBAN PLANNER chose the colors.
The chickens make a sweet cooing sound. Their neighborhood, nearly a century old, is intown Atlanta.

The bees pelted me as I took pics. Hadn't the slightest worry of stings. And there were none.


Yes, the little door, above, is the egg door.



View, below, from the driveway.
URBAN PLANNER said LAWYER lets his chickens out, first thing, arriving home from work. They free range until the sun informs them, Back to the coop.


You knew I was sent home with eggs. Brown, white, blue. Delicious.
.
I met LAWYER & URBAN PLANNER a dozen years ago when they took my class at The Atlanta Botanical Garden. Their (then) baby just had his Bar Mitzvah and now has 2 siblings. Can it be?
.
Back then they knew little about gardening, now, LAWYER can teach me about chickens & honey bees. Isn't that the best type of story about teacher & student?
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

2 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

Tara,

How adorable is that! A lavender chicken coop. I want one too. Great story and pictures.

scott b said...

I love the idea of being pelted by honeybees without being stung -- great pix - the chicken bandwagon is growing by leaps and bounds - smiles the thumb