Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A CHALLENGING LANDSCAPE JOB COMPLETED

I was implored, Keep us dry! My clients carriage house is several yards from their home. Arriving home in the rain meant getting wet. Now, they're dry and have a garden room.
I copied colors, dimensions, shingles, faux stone & light fixtures of their home creating a summer house & breezeway. As if it had always been there.

My clients asked for, perhaps, a canvas breezeway thru the middle of the garden space. Oh gosh, that had me stuck during the design phase.


A canvas covering over black aluminum rails to match their fence. Ouch. It wasn't working. And why solve a problem with an ugly solution? Ugly costs money too. More ouch.
.
Then I asked myself, because the house is English, How would this be designed in England?
.
Voila! The garden would definitely be preserved as the focal point, they would stay dry and there would be a place to sit and enjoy the garden. Yes, the English do know how to put a garden, with challenges, together.


Only a few days old in the pic, below, viewed from the upper porch.
The sunny day flagstone path thru the turf is barely visible from the summerhouse. Their beloved long-haired Jack Russell Terrier has a nice green canvas to begin his yellow splotches.
.
I'll keep you posted on this project as the furnishings and garden progress.
.
Can't wait to show you the faux balcony soon to arrive on the carriage house.
.
FYI: I knew these people were wonderful the first time I knocked on their door. From their formal dining room window I saw kittens playing on a tall carpet covered jungle-gym. They had recently lost a much loved cat. He was replaced with 2 kittens. Every visit with this couple has us laughing at the antics of their kittens & Jack Russell. The 3 in love with each other and slip-sliding on the wood floors, behaving like cartoon characters.
.
MONEY TALK: Yes, my solution cost more than the canvas & metal but not by much. However, my solution increased the value of the home immediately. They spent money to make money. How many investments can you USE while they make you money?
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara




3 comments:

Sheila said...

Tell them to add a tablespoon of tomato juice to their dog food and it will eliminate the yellow spots on the grass. Nice design!

Terry said...

The curvy rafter tails look great. Can't do that with canvas and aluminum.

cotedetexas said...

Tara you did a fabulous job! you should be very proud!
Joni