Monday, June 18, 2018

Pop the Champagne: Surprise Double Axis

I was in the shed a couple of months ago, and this was the view, below.  Interesting.  The table/chairs/gravel/trees were designed from another vantage point, from atop the deck, with zero relation to the shed.

Image may contain: people sitting, table and plant
Pic, above, shot from inside the shed, below.
.
Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, house, outdoor and nature

Speedy Double Axis views, above, no waiting a decade, or more.
.
Seems an accident, but this is what I know about designing historic gardens, they are simple, yet historic garden design is playing 3-D chess, with the international champ.  Simplicity of both pics, above, took every layer of my skills, fearlessly wielded.
.
Fearless?  My Garden Design must be deer proof, drought proof, bug/disease proof, little maintenance, gorgeous, maximum use alone & with groups, easy to manage when I turn 80, pair of trees for summer shade/winter sun, most importantly, NOW.
.
Bought the variegated Boxwood, above, upon a whim over a decade ago, had never seen one before, expected it to die.  Instead, thriving.  Moving from my 30 year garden, 3 years ago this month, I only brought the few plants in large terra cotta pots, this variegated Boxwood included.  Feels incredible having it back on the job.  A dear friend, dignity returned. 
.
Image may contain: people sitting, table and outdoor
.
With Historic Garden Design, good surprises included.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T
.
Wrote about creating this Garden Room, above, here.
.
Double Axis?  If you have a focal point, you must be able to stand at that focal point, turn 180, and shoot another focal point on that axis too.
.
International Champ?  Nature, of course.
.
Cannot wait for my Kentucky garden friend to come visit, she understands the need to celebrate this surprise Double Axis appropriately, champagne.  Perhaps you don't think it's a big event, just wait until it happens to you.  Pop the cork.

2 comments:

kbg said...

Welcome back! I've been waiting for you to pop up from the garden and post again! I always want to hear more about double axis. It's still a bit confusing to me, but this helps. And that variegated boxwood is beautiful!

Penelope Bianchi said...

I absolutely love it! I also love the different chairs all the same color.

Lovely!