Saturday, August 6, 2016

A Man of Fairies & Unicorns

I watched an early mentor pile layers of seemingly weird into his repertoire of living.  Bits of gleanings, taken from this century or that, this character or that, this art form or that, incarnations of old worn new, for starters.   Adoring each layer, paying attention, I was not a lone audience, he mentored many, performed for all.  Time passed.  Finally, it happened.  He became every bit of those gleanings, and more.
.
You have no idea the good fortune for those of us in Atlanta, partaking the welcome he gave, into his realm.  As time passed, his realm became international.  Of course it did.
.
Understand, he gave full access to his unicorns and fairies.  His abundance overflowed, a few of us were bold enough to say, Yes. Thank You, I accept.
.
How many times, in metaphor, has someone said, below, to me?  I cannot count.  Each time, I trust the unicorns and fairies more deeply, appreciating greater, if that's possible, a mentor's gifts.
  

@sparklyrainbows 365 Happiness Project 2015 – Quote 39:

Pic, above, here.

Last week this man, died.  Cooking dinner, his house caught fire.  He went outside for a garden hose, went back into the house to save his dogs.  All perished.
.
A week of phone calls, stories, connecting with others who accepted his fairies & unicorns.  So much laughter, so many stories that cannot be written.  
.
This man so changed the gardening landscape, in Atlanta, and beyond, I was able to make a career in Garden Design.  More than a career, and income, my life.
.
When I found out this man passed, I leaned forward and hugged my unicorn's neck.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XOT
.
Will introduce you to this man next week.  I cannot do it today, need to ride my steed a bit more.

8 comments:

Penelope Bianchi said...

What a beautiful tribute to a lovely, gifted man. I met him once; and he reminded me so much of Tony Duquette. I told him! He roared and said "THANK YOU!! WHAT A COMPLIMENT!!!"

I wept. I heard on the radio; and I had to pull my car to the side. It broke my heart. Truly.

La Petite Gallery said...

He must have been a very unique person. Can't wait to hear more about this wizard and spinner of tales. yvonne

La Contessa said...

OH GOSH...........HE SOUNDS DIVINE!
XO

JudyMac said...

A beautiful remembrance.

Wake Robin Gardens said...

Such a huge loss. A nice tribute for such an artist.

BaileyBobSouthernDog said...

He was a kind, knowledgable, and talented man. Possessed with a free and compassionate spirit. Thank you so much for telling us about him, as only you can. Atlanta bows its petals in sorrow,and raises its face to the sun, for having had him grow among us!

carenserv said...

I know, I heard this and was just stunned. What a loss and what a talent. My condolences to you dear Tara

Jeanne Goldie said...

Lovely, met him twice on garden tours...broke my heart when I heard. Didn't know him well but always admired his determination to live his life on his terms...and what a wonderful life he created...