Saturday, July 9, 2016

Pleasure in the Ruins

‘To delight in the aspects of sentient ruin might appear a heartless pastime, and the pleasure, I confess, shows the note of perversity.’ From Italian Hours (1873) by Henry James.

Foggy Day On Old Farm House:

Pic, above, here.
.
When I was a small girl traveling to Georgia, from Texas, before I-20 was completed I never tired of seeing an old rotting farmhouse, still inhabited.  In summer, windows & doors open.  Intuitively knowing this was great poverty, the type that kills.  In particular a single worn out farmhouse remains vivid, tattered cloth spilling from an open window, and thru the open front door I could see the main room wallpapered with newsprint, a few strips hanging down and dozens of loose corners, behind them, more newsprint.  A tall gaunt man, stooped but not old, walking to the front porch, sitting in a chair.  Nothing human in his eyes excepting misery.
.
I was safely in the backseat of our late model 4-door Buick Electra 225, 401 V-8 Wildcat 445, white body, white-wall tires, blue brocade seats, air-conditioning, sister/mom/dad, Argyle our standard poodle, and Puppet our toy poodle.  Dad pushing 80mph, getting us to grandma's house.  His driving, and passing, on those 2 lane roads thrilling, and terrifying.
.
Looking at abandoned farmhouses now, I like to imagine the original family, and how the house & land provided a good living.  Not the last inhabitants.
.
Garden & Be Well,  XOT

2 comments:

La Contessa said...

I ADORE The RECK N RUIN Of it ALL TOO!ALWAYS have even as a small GIRL...................to this DAY I feel I could live in ONE perfectly CONTENT!
XX

Unknown said...

We used to drive from Huston to Flatonia/Moulton/Shiner. All the way to Flatonia before I10 was completed and loved the same decayed beauty.

Even now - when we take long trips - we agree that part of it is off the interstate!

Have a great Sunday - - -