Thursday, November 19, 2015

Best Garden Tools: Garden Apron


Beginning the 2nd professional nursery job, of my life, in my 20's, this time propagation was involved too, I was given an apron.  To wear.  Oh my.  As if punching a time clock, with a college degree, weren't enough, I had to wear an apron too?  Honestly, dad died without ever knowing these 2 facts about my career, which was not a career to him but an embarrassment wrapped in shame.

Grand Apron – Bowl & Pitcher I like the look of these. I bet I could make my own with something sturdy for the garden.:
Pic, above, www.BowlandPitcher.com

During those 2.5 years of nursery/propagation work, wearing an apron, I was in bed most nights by 9pm.  Tired, but happy.  The work was exhausting, leaving little time, or strength, for working in my own garden.

These aprons are inspired by Japanese designs and have no strings to tie.:

Pic, above, from www.Frabrics-Store.com

The happy day of resigning arrived, bingo, full-time self-employed designing gardens.  And, energy abounded to put into my own garden.

Magnolia Pearl Apron Dress:

Pic, above, www.MagnoliaPearl.com

About 2 hours into working my own garden, after leaving the nursery, something was wrong.  Work was not flowing, easily.  Too many little trips trodding a path to get something.  And, this was before cell phones.

The Hearty Home: A Japanese Style Apron Tutorial. I have been searching for tutorial for so long, I decided to make my own.:

Pic, above, via, The Hearty Home, and with a tutorial to make the apron.

Aside from the obvious about propagation, and learning how to work 4 different types of professional greenhouses, I had learned how to work, wearing an apron.  That foe, the apron.  Epiphany taken, G*d does have a sense of humor, the apron was full circle back in my life.
.
Needs for MY garden apron.  Tough fabric yet lightweight for summer heat/humidity, hold cell phone, Felcos, weeds, trash, a treat for the chics, etc.  All my aprons have been worn at the waist, until now.
.
Moving to our small homestead has changed the type of apron needed.  Need something more functional than a waist apron & don't want to tie strings.  Done with that.
.
On the hunt for the apron, above.  It seems most functional.  The entire apron 'thing' is still amusing, to me, decades later.  Wish dad had lived longer to get the epiphany about my gardening.  Going thru paperwork after he died I found his Air Force discharge papers from his test pilot days.  He only had 1 other completed course, aside from test piloting, psychological warfare training.  That made me smile!  My gardening, professionally, about did him in.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Two best garden tools?  Felco pruners & my apron.

9 comments:

Dewena said...

A good story, Tara. A good life lesson. Surely he would smile to read it.

Your apron looks like it would be good for housework too.

Vera said...

I have/had that apron pattern. Like you need a sturdier version.

I remember the first time I watched Sense and Sensibility (or was it P&P?) how practical it was for the sisters to wear an outdoor apron, come in, and switch it w/an indoor apron. When guests came, off came the aprons and everyone was neat and tidy!

Not that I've ever been accused of being neat and tidy! LOL

Jean Campbell said...

It's called a Mobious Apron. Do you sew, or do you buy? Either way, the internet abounds with patterns and ready-made.

Kim said...

I wear aprons all the time too! Rough Linen makes a great pinafore (apron) .

Ribbon said...

These are the best- and choose between four colors:
https://roughlinen.com/rough-linen-pinafore.html

Ribbon said...

https://roughlinen.com/rough-linen-pinafore.html

This is what you are looking for-available in four color choices.

K said...

I've been using the pocketed pinafore from roughlinen[dot]com for kitchen and garden -- very well made, washes well, and no silly strings that untie at inopportune moments.

https://roughlinen.com/rough-linen-pinafore.html

Tara Dillard said...

Thank you ! Ordered apron from Rough Linen, should arrive this week.

Another good reason for this style apron? Aprons tied at my neck quickly became too heavy once the pockets filled.

Aprons & wheelbarrows are best when doubled. Less concentrated weight.

XO T

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Well, pooh! I wanted to tell you about Rough Linen but I'm to late...I say pooh again! Pinnies are my favorite apron and for the same reason as you. When I wear a tied at neck apron, I get the most vile headaches because the pockets are full to overflowing. My poor head cannot stand the weight. Does that mean I have a big head?
I hope not.
I like wheelbarrows but I love my Ranger, especially when pulling my big green and yellow wagon.