Sunday, August 2, 2015

Moved In: ca. 1900 Farmstead

Last week, below, feeding the chickens, an audience arrived.  How do animals this large appear at the fence within seconds, no sound?
.
Our views of neighbor's dairy farm.  Soon, when more invasives are removed we'll have views of their lake and rolling Piedmont hills, the last, before the coastal plain.


Still moving in, over 3 days almost 50 boxes unpacked.  5 boxes refilled, heavily, and another Goodwill trip taken.
.
How did I ever live without a front porch?  Boxes went to the dump each night.  Fear, not tidiness.  Did not want boxes sitting, and possibly finding a timber rattler in one.  


From the boxes, below.  Over 90% of china/ironstone unpacked.  Dining room has 2 built-in closets, this one, below, was for glass jars of fruit/vegetables.  At least that's what markings on the wood shelves report.
.
The door, blessedly was not painted inside.  Made of pine, it has been faux painted, over a century ago, like an expensive wood.  Rest of the doors in the house were painted white.  Will never know if they had all been faux too.
.
Shelves, below, go to 11' ceiling/wrap each side, and filled to overflow.
.
This is solely colored china/ironstone.  Agreed, Houston we've got a problem.
.

On the other side of the fireplace, below, blue/white china cabinet.
.
White ironstone still in boxes.  Painting to be done before unpacking those.  Hardly near the top of our action list.


We've done nothing, below, to the garden, other than take what I brought from my last garden, a cottage garden, to Goodwill, or place on 8 pallets under a century old water oak.
.
Driveway, below, a compacted meadow, and narrow.  Perfect for us, not our trucks.  Drama ahead.
.
Soon, all foundation plantings, below, will be removed with the Caterpillar.  Excepting the camellias, at the end of the front porch, and 2 oleander at my office windows.
.
Beloved & I wanted to get it done today, but finishing the pantry renovation beckons more loudly.


 A month living here, I braved my first nail.  House is ample, closet space not.  Basket on wheels is one of my longest & best employees when I lecture.  Files, shredder, printer etc in this closet too.


Mentioned above, drama, below.
.
County permit department came, and we were approved to add another driveway.
.
No trees will be cut.
.
In a perfect world this would not be the new drive entry, it affects axis views, cross axis views, & enfilades of placing the new orchard, rose arbor, potager, smoke house.  For starters.
.
What I know, for sure, after 3 decades of studying historic gardens, and designing them, issues in reality always make a garden better.
.
Form & function.
.
Beloved needs his driveway, and a barn at its end.
.

Our new drive will curve, below, it has to, you read the list, above, for this new garden room.
.
How long before our new curving drive looks like this, below ?
.
More than a bit impatient.
.
Life is good.

Hillside
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Top pics mine, bottom pic, Pinterest

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Moving is awful. I've done it over 12 times in 29 years. But I've never had to worry about rattlesnakes!

How lucky to have 100-year old faux paint.

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Moving is awful. I've done it over 12 times in 29 years. But I've never had to worry about rattlesnakes!

How lucky to have 100-year old faux paint.

Jean Campbell said...

They really have you terrified of rattlesnakes, don't they? Unless there were many, many mice in your boxes, they probably would not harbor a snake and at that it would more likely be a harmless rat snake. Pray for King Snakes to arrive. You will need a cat, neutered/spayed.

On the other hand, I would take care around those pallets under the oak tree.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a beautiful place! I look forward to seeing and reading more about it. Enjoy each and every day!

FlowerLady

Dewena said...

You know that I have been looking forward to seeing your china unpacked and on the shelves!. I'm smitten by the blue and white. It must make you happy to see these treasures out again, except for the ironstone. And the inspiration for the new driveway is wonderful, but makes me wish our barn road was not straight.

So many things must be on your list for the future but so much has been done!

cotedetexas said...

impatient for more pictures!!! thanks for the shoutout.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

It pays to be alert and wary for critters that can do harm, especially snakes. I love my dogs and cats and they receive better care than I give myself but one of their jobs is to protect me from snakes. Unlike Kit Carson, the most recent rescue who killed and brought a Copperhead into the sun room. At least I hope it was in that order!
The china looks so nice in that lovely cupboard. Tara, may I make a suggestion? Instead of nails, purchase some pretty hooks...I've used both and the pretty hooks are more restful and pleasing to my eye when I hope doors. A small thing but huge in the contentment department -smile-.
From the little I've seen of your new home, I love it...the style, the porch (one can NEVER have too many porches!)...everything!
May you have many years of happiness, good health and love in your new abode.

Anonymous said...

Exciting times! (I think I've said that before) Still emptying some boxes in my office and in my apartment, in-between design work. Finally back to it. Soon, your drive will be like that!