Saturday, September 13, 2014

Garden Design: Enlarging Color Echoes, by Pamela Harper

My team finished a student housing project last week in Auburn, AL, below.  



After, above, before, below.


Pure pride in our work, the most common response, is widened eyes and a comment, "Student housing wasn't like this when I went."  Zero comments about our work !


As the project completed, the interior team color echoed the exterior team.  Without collaborating.  A sign the owner chose his teams wisely.  Everyone, on mission.  Team players.



Pamela Harper wrote of Color Echoes in the garden ca. 1994, and I heard her lecture about this during her book tour at the time.
.
Of course my concept of color echoes is larger than Pamela Harper's,  Why?  Houses & gardens are equal in garden design in a vanishing threshold.
.
Interior decorator, above, put me on her team for a house she designed both architecture/interior.  You know the house, it's in the previous 2 posts.
.
Surveying our work, then seeing her interiors, this SMU grad sounded like a total Auburn Tiger.
.
At the pool table, above, is exactly what you must do for your interiors/exteriors, vanishing threshold.  AKA, color echoes.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
Pics shot last week and earlier in the summer.  Loved the day palm trees arrived on the bed of an 18-wheeler.  Perhaps the day the pool filled was better?  Notice the pool decking?  It's travertine pavers set in gravel.  They are echoed at the entry to the formal lobby.
.
For a beautiful garden & home filling you with joy, become my client, local/on-line.
.
Award winning speaker, hire me for your group, local/out-of-state.
                                                                                 .
Books by Tara Dillard, Amazon
.
Tara Dillard & Associates Design: farm to city pied-a-terre.
.
Construction by Award Winning
Shaefer Heard Construction, licensed home-builder, renovation - new construction.  Heard's Landscaping a unit of SHC.  3 decades of service.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Color echoes. I love that. A very important concept is designing interior or exterior spaces and the views between the two. xo, N.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Good design is good design, whether indoors or outdoors ... thank you for reminding us of this. Color, repetition, rhythm, texture, etc. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Color echoes...I often get them by accident, but I need to intend them more. I like your intentional team. And what housing...and I hear what prices! Helps me be thankful never having had kids...

The palm - very nice!