Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Garden Design: Dancing Naked in the Potato Patch

Ca. 1900, below, a 1794 engraving.  Have designed across Atlanta for decades, of course I know where the best junk shops are, and go when clients are nearby.
.
Tried not to buy this platter, barely $10, below.  Yet its image seared the might of Providence & what we've lost across centuries.
.
The scene, common until post WWII, and in thanks of Providence.  Food & lifestyle & health & metaphor combined.
.
Why WWII?  Cheap gas, in USA, and the selling of lawn chemicals to housewives 'needing' to protect their children from harmful insects.  Did you know housewives were a first target of international chemical companies?  
.
Men needing their testosterone lawns.  Power equipment, weed free, deep green, perfect.
.
Not where I'm going with this post, just a primer for the direction.
.


Saw the cabbage truck driving, below, last weekend.  A few slid off on the curves & made cole slaw.  Understand the mood we were in?  Adult giggly, silly, happy for a fine day, and down time.



From childhood have adored garden sheds, garages, garden rooms.  The smells, tools, solitude, no adults near, atonement.



 Harvested last weekend, the dirt gracing these potatoes, below, made me want to find their field, take off my clothes and roll.  A primal urge.  I must be a potato'ist, or soil'ist, no man/woman has ever made me feel this way.  Skip naming my team the Redskins, I'm a potato'ist and can name my team the redskins.
.
Soil on these potatoes is alive & asks my hands to reach out and touch.  I do.  There is benediction. Never felt in church.  Read, gout de terroir or, taste of the soil.   


Views from the farm stand, below, there it was again.  Perhaps a slight sprinkle of rain, everyone let's take off our clothes and go dance in the field.  This vanishing threshold of bounty & nature is high church.  Let's give thanks in dance.  Prayers in singing.


Along the side of the road, below, where we first saw the cabbage truck.  This is why Garden Design never bores.  Providence humbles.


Had a wonderful day of Joan Rivers last weekend.  She always said what everyone was thinking anyway.
.
This is what I was thinking at the vegetable stand.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
I shot the pics last weekend.  
.
Baby, hope this explains why I kept telling you to get the okra but my brain/mouth were saying squash.  Was lost in naked dance with the soil in the fields, thanking Providence.   
.
For a beautiful garden & home filling you with joy, become my client, local/on-line.
.
Award winning speaker, hire me for your group, local/out-of-state.
                                                                                 .
Books by Tara Dillard, Amazon
.
Tara Dillard & Associates Design: farm to city pied-a-terre.
.
Construction by Award Winning
Shaefer Heard Construction, licensed home-builder, renovation - new construction.  Heard's Landscaping a unit of SHC.  3 decades of service.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

PLEASE, CAN YOU TELL US SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE JUNK SHOPS IN AND AROUND ATLANTA?