Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How to Get Guests to the Front Door Instead of the Back Door

Welcome to the front door.   Many park here, below, the family parking court, then walk to the back door.


Perhaps a pair of historic marble urns at the granite step?  An invitation of welcome to the front door.  Not in the original plan but something shouting possibility.


By car, above/below, a drop off at the brick path.  Another possibility shouting!








Front door, above.
.
Garden & Be Well,      XO Tara
.
History & subtlety are major goals in this garden.  For decades I've known if mistakes are made they must be on the side of Too Simple.  Easier & cheaper to add something later than to undo paths, trees, bushes....  This isn't a mistake merely the garden speaking its wisdom and us paying attention.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely porch!

Unknown said...

I see myself shifting to this mindset, too. Moving into yet another home in yet another state, one that has five nearly empty acres in the Kansas Flint HIlls, is a bit overwhelming. Harder still is convincing my husband to turn most of it over to a natural tall grass prairie.

Merlin said...

Nothing I like better than a "haint blue" ceiling!! franki

Unknown said...

We all naturally take the path of least resistance... Maybe the parking is too close to the back door? The blue ceiling!!!! Love!!

Nita Stacy said...

Love this house! Yes, I think urns will tell people this is the entrance. I'm guilty of going in my own back door but it's because...my front door won't unlock from the outside. It hasn't in the 9 years I've lived here....on my list to fix...but has not been a priority. Guests come in the front though. But I can see that with a few added things this house will be wonderful. That porch just needs some plants...for sure.