Monday, April 8, 2013

What To Put On Your House

Gertrude Jekyll wrote, "The first thing I consider when designing a garden is what to put on the house."




At no point during my college education did any instructor or book make this point.  Nor any symposium or lecture attended during 3 decades of seeking continuing education.


Outside of Athens, GA, this home is less than 15 years old.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Pics taken last Saturday.  I use a lot of woody espalier plants on a home.  No trellis or wire needed.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Things growing on the house can become a problem. I speak with experience about english ivy..it can wreck mortar. It is lovely and then one day you wake up and it's not so lovely.
Love your blog.

Barbara Pilcher said...

Gee, I thought ivy was bad for brick, too. I wonder if the brick is painted, the effect is the same. I'd still worry about it getting under the eves.

There's no beating the charm and age it brings to a building, though. They don't call 'em Ivy Leagues for nothing.