Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Garden Growth

More than this fortunate, ca. 1800, below.


I've not had the money to live without a day job.  Gardening from college, ca. 1980, is my 1st career choice.


Yesterday, above, in Griffin, GA, getting blackberries & figs for a client.  Had zero hint it was completely out of the Piedmont and in the Coastal Plain.


Most of their bare root fruit, above/below, was shipped in from TX & FL.  Healed in the sand, dug & boxed when ordered.


This, above, has been done for centuries.


Too many years since I've propagated cuttings in this exact type of greenhouse.
Millions in my time.


I stood at the frame, above, leaned in and was still a long time.  Smelling.  Absorbing the work, this time done by other hands.  Not mine.  
.
Yes, I still want to do it all.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
pics taken yesterday.  Top pic Garden History Girl

4 comments:

bec said...

I understand exactly what you mean.
Bec x

Maryanne White said...

Sharing the same profession, I am still my most happiest in a greenhouse. Its like coming home.

David C. said...

So interesting...you'll have to share more what it means to be out of the piedmont and in the coastal plain. I think Mtgy AL is in the coastal plain, but some say it isn't until further down. Much to learn about your geography, even mine!

And yes, the thoughts on growing plants in greenhouses like that and the scents, memories, must be intoxicating.

Barbara Pilcher said...

Yes, do it all. All that you can. I'm 70 and just starting to realize, as my massage therapist says, I can do it all, just not all at once.