Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Some Deaths Are Not Socially Acceptable

"...Sir Timothy...after a night of high wind had brought down 2 magnificent elm tress on the edge of the ha-ha.... It was a sad sight.  The trees were lying with their roots upended and their trunks slanting across the ditch to the ruin of broken branches and smashed twigs on the lower level.  Sir Timothy ...as much distressed as if they had been the only trees he possessed.  There were tears in his eyes as he kept repeating: 'Wouldn't have lost them for the worlds!  Known them all my life.  Opened my eyes upon them, in fact, for I was born in that room there. ....It's this damned sunk fence is to blame.  No root room on one side.  Wouldn't have lost them for the worlds!'".  Flora Thompson, Lark Rise to Candleford.
 Written of an era a century old, and a true story, I love Sir Timothy.
Clients & friends, calling me through the years, "Tara, my tree died."  Then tears.  Women of course.  But men too.  Successful men, trophy house, car, family, and they are still the little boy within.  In grief they remember me, someone who will understand.  I've cried with them all.
.
No, not many will tell family, friends, co-workers, "Called my garden designer today, we cried about losing my tree."
.
You do understand these are big trees, over a century, with energy giving spirit.
.
Garden & Be Well,     XO Tara
.
Pics from BBC

7 comments:

Vesna B. said...

We experienced similar last week when the developer finally came and removed much of the woods behind our property. Oh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth! I had to leave the kids with a neighbor until it was over. I'm afraid my youngest may have recurring nightmares involving a big, orange back hoe!

Desert Dweller said...

I get what you are saying - it is sad to lose a good plant, especially a good tree in the right place. But I must say I often laugh equally at the loss of the wrong plant in the wrong place, or loss of each thing that makes up hodge-podge! But the most emotion is the delight at working with something with real potential, then seeing it as it matures.

Connie in Hartwood said...

It's almost as if huge, old trees have a soul. We can feel it when we are in their presence.

Jenny M said...

When we were extending I told our builder that the digging machine used for the new foundations, could knock the corner of the house down for all I cared, BUT DO NOT damage my weeping elm tree!

Divine Theatre said...

We have no trees in our neighborhood. I lament their absence like a childless mother.

Anonymous said...

those trees must have many good memories. may just one pleading snap under the gazebos or a tree is precious.

Lydia said...

Trees are like grandmothers. Everyone should have one.