Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Keep It Close & Line It Up


Early 19th century North American home & garden.
Vegetables, herbs, fruits, water, livestock, above, all close.
.
Sustainable meant a lot more in this era.  Lose your crops/livestock & your family could die.
.
Keeping things close is easier maintenance & to protect.  Obvious but overlooked.
.
Often I'm asked to site a playset or child's vegetable garden.  The requests arrive with a wave of the hand pointing to the back, somewhere.  Somewhere.
.
Patio/deck areas are often a sunny spot.  Perfect for a vegetable garden in large pots, 24" diameter, with several things stuffed into each.  Ha, yes, I site the pots too.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Notice the Landscape Design tool in the pic?  All the lines: fence, trees, vegetables, herbs, paths, dependencies are lined exactly parallel or perpendicular with the home.

2 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

You are ultra clever, Tara, my friend! Still not taking off that word verification, huh? Pretty please!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I get all of this. You are completely brilliant! I ordered the book by Russell Page "Education of a Gardener" I have read one chapter. It is so fascinating to me.

I have never studied any of this.....but I am reading about gardens I have seen in books and magazines..so I guess I have studied.

I just didn't know I was studying!

You are so wonderful!!! You are such a brilliant teacher!

Thank you for everything!

Penelope