Wednesday, March 16, 2011

It's About Time: The Conservatory in 19th century Europe

Last Saturday in my Conservatory, lolling on my couch, with my ipad, my incredible Barbara, It's About Time, did it again.From, Redgauntlet, "The present proprietor had rendered it (the parlor) more cheerful by opening one end into a small conservatory...I have never seen this before." Sir Walter Scott (Loved my time in Sir Walter Scott's garden. My Well-Placed-Chair epiphany came while in his garden. The walled garden to be exact. If you haven't been, it's today's assignment, go.)
Barbara writes, "In England, Humphry Repton (Scottish botanist & garden designer, 1752-1818) gave a plan well adapted for this new, more social purpose. At one end of this design an aviary (1) is surrounded by a conservatory (2), and joined to a glass passage for flowers (3), which leads successively through an orangery (4), lobby (5), music-room (6), library (7), print and picture-room (8), breakfast-room (9), anti-room (10), dining-room (11), hall (12), and peach and green-house."
.
Many more conservatory's in her post, here.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Susanne Hudson & I are, of course, doing another Conservatory for the upcoming Penny McHenry Hydrangea Festival, June 4-5, 2011. This time a Dining Room theme. Is there any doubt I called Susanne while lolling in the Conservatory last Saturday? We'll be using Barbara's post as further inspiration. We're also creating historical silhouettes of a Lady & a Gardener. Put your head in & snap, you've got your picture.

3 comments:

Desert Dweller said...

I like your assignment - too bad I can't go now! I get to *drive* to El Paso then the Hill Country...

I like the great places one can get inspiration like you just showed. We al need to do that often. But in more casual clothing...

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for inspiring us in a way that is a bit more cerebral and abstract. This little post has really made me think and it serves to remind me that despite having asthma, I still adore conservatories. (Asthma inhalers were made for these visits, right?)

Barbara Wells Sarudy said...

Thank you! Barbara