Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Choosing Exterior Color

Your front door does not have to be black. Nor does it need to be the color of your shutters. Choose a color threading thru your interior art/wallpaper/couch. I cannot design a landscape without seeing interiors.
Look at color choices in sun & shade, morning, evening, rainy days.
Beware of colors that are too alive. They steal attention. White is the worst offender. No worries, there are plenty of calm whites.
A color looking (for example) grey/green in shade, and at the same time looking green/blue in sun is fabulous.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Colour Me Happy is a dedicated COLOR EXPERT. I love everything written & photographed at Colour Me Happy. I like using Benjamin Moore Historic Colors. There is a reason they are historic !
.
Pics taken at a client's last week.

7 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Benjamin Moore Historic Colors are great, a beautiful selection and they hold up well. I've used them exclusively on in interior of my 80+ year old house and I still love the rich look they give.

Terry said...

I with you. Do trial runs. Get opinions from folks with proven color skills.

Desert Dweller said...

Color - you women rule at this, not just design. Great points on selecting colors in different light conditions.

Though I underestimated colors here by 2 "shades", in another way, I like that my laser-beam sun mutes all color, only for them to pop bigtime on our wet or cloudy days - all 10 such days / yr!

Cher' Shots said...

Our front door is on the schedule for repainting as soon as the snow leaves and the temps rise. Thanks for the tips.
'hugs from afar'

La Maison Fou said...

Yes.
Exactly.
L.

Nita Stacy said...

OH...I had such a hard time with this last summer. I knew what color I wanted a greenish bluish. Painters were next door and I asked for a quote and they said they could start the next day! I was not ready yet...but they said they were moving on to a different neighborhood and it would be months before they could get to me. So I thought it will be fine...I know what color I want...I'll just go pick paint....how wrong I was....12 paint colors later....I found the right color.

Yes...you have to find a color that looks good in both sun and shade because my house is in full sun all morning and then shade in the afternoon. Some colors looked great in full sun and too dark in shade whereas some looked perfect in shade and to light in sun. I had to find a happy in between.

It was exhausting trying to pick the perfect color in two days. And even then...had to make the painters stop and try one more color. Finally, I got it right...but I could not believe how hard it was. Partly because I have yellow brick and had to find just the right color to go with it. It could not be too light or too yellow.

If I'd known then what I know now...I would have told the painters to go on and go paint their other jobs and come back to me in a few months. So that I could have experimented with color without the pressure of having painters breathing down my neck. But it all turned out ok. Actually, the color I chose looks a lot like the blue green there on the porch...but who knows if it is.

Unknown said...

Love me a red door....smiles