Friday, September 3, 2010

Subtle Focal Points

Walking into the garden room, below, (from yesterday's post) is the tennis player (have I mentioned winning the district tennis 4-A womens singles tennis championship 2 years in a row?). Opposite the tennis player, below, is St. Fiacre. Circa 1930's he is an inherited piece.

The tennis player & St. Fiacre book end the garden room, originally a tennis court.

Another doorway, above, in this garden room (apologies poppets, didn't ask its name).
.
Dry stack stone wall & drystone steps. (Paying attention guys at the stone supply? Yes, you, who told my client last week it was 'impossible' to dry stack wall & steps as I drew in the plan. Please skip Scotland, Italy, my past clients in the states & etc.... you'll discover centuries worth of dry stack. By-the-way, I sent those clients to you, paying customers in a bad economy. They bought no stone from you & called me afterward confused. No worries, I got them going again & sent them to a different stone store!! 7 tons of fieldstone is your lost sale.)
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Tennis player & St. Fiacre are subtle focal points. Not subsidiary focal points & not main focal points. A delicious garden.

9 comments:

Desert Dweller said...

Sorry about your stone / resulting confused client experience...been there, done that, have the tee shirt - too many times!

As to the reasons you stated, right-on! The stone supplier was counter-productive in causing doubt, when they could have sought to understand the design - as a team player and solutions person.

Glad you found a more suitable supplier, and it all worked out.

The Cottage Look said...

I just found you...man oh man, are you talented. I can't wait to read EVERYTHING. You go girl!!!!

Love and Kisses

Suzi

joanie said...

My neighbor just had a dry-stack stone wall built along one side of her driveway. It is beautiful.

Love your blog. I visit as often as I can.

Shirley said...

You tell them Tara! Do frosts not heave the stones out of place? Perhaps you are in an area that this does not affect or you know of a method of stacking that stays firm regardless? I'm curious. We dry stacked bricks in our border and now, a few years later, I see they have shifted a bit.

Anonymous said...

Go Tara!! Too bad you did not name the sales person at the stone yard. Why do these people think they can THINK?
xs

Tara Dillard said...

Sandra dahling, it was TEMPTING !!

Shirley, don't know your zone, dry stone walls have been successful for centuries in highlands of Scotland. They do great in Highlands, NC also. It receives snow.

xo t

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Absolutely love that wall and steps with the vines growing. Perfection!

home before dark said...

Here in Zone 5/6ish, I have built dry stack walls all over my property (city lot). My last project: dry stack staircase. I used stacked flag and "glued" it with landscaping cauld. In our way hot way cold climate, it has stuck. BTW, I finished that project when I was 59. Stone adds something that nothing else does.

People with little minds should just get out of the way, no?

Jean Campbell said...

There is a mindset among certain young salespeople these days that they know everything and customers need to be 'set straight.'

After the store manager at the auto parts store sent the young know-it-all to the back of the store when he corrected my 70+ husband, DH now has a resource for getting whatever it is that he SAYS he wants whether the clerk knows how it works or not. Experience counts for something.