Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scalamandre's Toile at Monticello

Did you know 'Aphrodite' by Scalamandre is an original toile used at Thomas Jefferson's Monticello?
A heavy linen, tea stained backdrop with deep India blue.

Yes, I'm a fabric junkie.


Not quite 2 yards, this lovely toile came into my possession yesterday. (Fortunately/unfortunately a consignment shop is enroute to my 5 mile speed walk at Stone Mountain Park. Obviously I must stop 1-2/mo.)

Unpriced, ugh, I had to ASK, "how much". Wanting it BAD I turned in an Oscar performance. She answered, "$5".

Oh my, the tree, above, takes my breath away. And the statue, and the stone terrace...
.
Like cousin Charlotte, in E.M. Forster's A Room With A View, I shall use this bit of toile as the serendipitous al fresco picnic cloth.
.
Perhaps invite you to lunch in the Natchez Circle, and toss it over the antique table.
.
I'll wear it too. Off to Hawaii later this summer it will look fabulous draped over my shoulders as I walk the beach every morning. Already have a tank swimsuit white/w dark blue flowers sprinkled evenly.
.
Did you know someone could obsess so much, so fast about a little $5 square of fabric?
.
And, do you know how important the right fabric is to your landscape? (Just in case you thought I was going off topic.) Your curtains, a couch, a chair, a tablecloth. What fabrics are seen inside your home while standing in the garden? Do they tell me who you are?
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Hawaii on frequent flier miles, yippee. And the rest of the trip a gift from my parents. Haven't seen them in ever so long. Dad & I love our early mornings with coffee on the Lanaii watching the sun rise over Waikiki.

8 comments:

Barbara Wells Sarudy said...

Yes, I know how someone could obsess over a piece of toile. That is why I read you everyday. An eye that just does not fail...

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, I share your affliction! My home is a homage to beautiful fabrics. I keep pieces from each of my design projects. Better than jewelry to me!

vignette design said...

5$ for that lovely toile!? I would wear it too. I like the idea of it as tablecloth though. Would love to see a tablescape designed around it.
I once found a yard of yellow toile linen fabric at Goodwill in Florence, Oregon! It was one dollar. Made it into a pillow.
You would definitely know me by my fabrics! Mostly florward and toiles, checks and stripes. Lots of roses!
Have a wonderful day Tara!

Babs said...

Gorgeous Scalamandre toile and only $5? Oh, be still my heart. All of your ideas for the toile sound lovely. Please let us know how you finally decide to use it.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Not off topic at all. Gardens evoke emotions, not at all unlike the perfect fabric find.

I have a friend who worked in a very upscale furniture store that would funnel the discontinued upholstery samples my way. Some of the most wonderful squares of fabric are in those boxes in my closet.
Connie

Joanne Yordanou said...

Lovely site! The Scalamandre toile is beautiful! Thank you for joining my blog - I wrote about your site today to say Thanks.

Kathysue said...

This is gorgeous and $5 Oh My!!! You got a true treasure. I do think about what you see outside my doors when looking at the back yard. I have all blue and greens in the back yard and my family room has some blue and white porcelain pieces that I use in the summer months. My kitchen looks out to my back and it is all green and white. In fact I painted the back of my house green for coolness and the front is yellow for charm. You can not see one side from the other so it works. If you go to my blog you can see my backyard here
http://goodlifeofdesign.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-backyard-bubbler.html

and my front yard here
http://goodlifeofdesign.blogspot.com/2010/05/porch-is-done.html

I know it sounds a bit odd but it truly works, take a look, Have a great day, Love your blog, You are inspiring me!! Kathysue

Karen said...

Garden, Home and Party says...
I love toile and could probably use it in each room if it weren't for the fact that hubby will only go along with a couple of rooms of it. What a great find.