Friday, April 9, 2010

CHEAP vs. GOOD vs. TIME

Gardening in my 20's - 30's meant cheap terra cotta, vs. quality terra cotta, & mostly 1 gallon plants. Cheap pots WILL break. No time for cheap. Anymore.
What's not to like about aging? Buying quality terra cotta pots, above, requiring a man & forklift.

Choosing specimen plants


vs. 1 gallon plants.



OK, so I got the 3 gallons not these balled/burlap beauties.


Money for this? Not really. But I've aged out of cheap terra cotta & 1 gallons.


I could supply studies of: landscaping, property value, curb appeal, heating/cooling savings, mental health, longevity, wildlife & eco babble.
.
But there is something I know for sure about spending my money (none of the above of course). I've never regretted a dime spent on my garden or my pets.
.
Because It Makes Me Happy.
.
COLLEGE BOY rarely asks "why" questions about what I do anymore. He knows, when the answer is, "Because It Makes Me Happy.", his cause is toast.
.
Last time COLLEGE BOY had an opinion about my garden, that I didn't care for, I quoted him A.S. Byatt, "Your words are harmful to my spirit."
.
Another thing I did in my 20's-30's, not listening to my spirit. Life is better when I listen.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
Good quality terra cotta pots came from AW Pottery in Chamblee, GA. Made of finely particulated clay from Asia, creating highly frost resistant pots. Plants, alas, are from a wholesale resource only.

5 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

Hi Tara,

What do you do if you love terracotta pots like I do? I never realized they were considered cheap. Still learning here.

~janet

Beach House Living said...

True, there is terracotta and then there is quality terracotta. I've slowly been making the switch to fiberglass which I've already learned cheap ones don't hold up.

Southern Aspirations said...

great source on the pots and I LOVE your quote.

I think I need that elephant plant though.

Christine B. said...

I can't wait to quote that to the hubby when he gripes about garden art. As for terra cotta, I did have a few beauties and they were a wrench to give away, but give away I had to. The storage requirements (for overwintering them successfully here) and the great weight (and the twinge in my ever aging back) sealed the deal. They were gorgeous but I'll just have to enjoy them vicariously through folks with milder climates.

I buy plants in anything bigger than one gallon when I can (get away with it....).
Christine in Alaska

Anonymous said...

In my "mature years" I have graduated from cheap terra cotta to Vietnamese glazed pots. I am very partial to the blue ones. They are amazing - never break or get "crazing" in the glaze even when left out through the winter. I am zone 8B, so the cold is not too bad. I can recognize one right away - just a different translusence to the color. I got one pot that was the same color from Portugal and it got multiple glaze cracks the first winter. I am afraid to touch the thing. My big old Vietnamese pots are fabulous - I never bring them in during the winter and move them around to meet the mood. Just replant each spring and constantly look for more. I really want a lime green one - maybe for my 62nd birthday!