Thursday, March 18, 2010

TAKE JOY

Rosemary Verey wrote of removing foliage off winter blooming Lenten Rose. I copied, below. In Sir Walter Scott's garden I saw a 'well placed chair'. I copied, below.
Pamela Harper wrote of every garden needing a tall cone shape taking the eyes to the sky. I copied, below.
Joy is always present. Always.
.
Take.
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara
.
"Take joy" was a favorite of Tasha Tudor, from the book, Tasha Tudor's Garden, pics by Richard W. Brown & text by Tovah Martin. Don't have this book yet? Take joy, buy it.
.
Stephen Holden recently reviewed, "Gershwin...Here to Stay", performing at the Oak Room at the Algonquin Hotel, for the NYTimes. In it he wrote, "When Gershwin's friend Kay Swift observed him playing "dark, doom-laden chords" and asked him what he was composing, he said: "Oh, nothing. I was just working off some of the dreary music that lies near the top of a composer's mind. Then I"ll dig down to the happiness stuff, with any luck."

6 comments:

La Petite Gallery said...

HI TARA.
BEAUTIFUL POST, I PLAN TO STAY AT THE ALGONQUIN WHEN I GO TO MANHATTAN.

Vera @ Cozy Little Cabin said...

My daddy always said to borrow other people's brains. . . meaning to read their writings & act upon them! He would appreciate how you've done that.

Yes, yes, have Tasha Tudor's books and you're right - they are pure joy!

Lori Buff said...

I've never taken the foliage off my Lenten Rose, it looks beautiful but I wonder if it weakens or strengthens the plant (or maybe neither).
It's so nice to see them blooming after such a dreary winter. The Trillium is up now too!

Rosaria Williams said...

This is a thoughtful, lyrical connection with the past. Lovely.

Tara Dillard said...

Lori, I was concerned about weakening the lenten rose too. The dozen to 20 I removed foliage from were from my own seeds.

Doubt I would have tried it on plants I paid for. They do great cutting the foliage. Done several years now with no issues.

XO T

Unknown said...

Great tip on the lenten rose, I don't know if I'd ever have tried it either!
Thanks!