Friday, January 8, 2010

THRIFTING A GARDEN TABLE

"I can't afford....", begins many sentences pertaining to landscaping. I don't buy it for a moment. Monet's garden had it, Vita's, & all of Charleston, SC, THE POVERTY CYCLE. With it they created world class gardens. But I'm not posting about that epiphany today. Besides, ask yourself, "Do I have less intelligence than them?". Ha, my point exactly.
.
Solid wood, below, great for a covered porch. I'm seeing it painted to match your shutters or your front door. Perhaps it's painted white and central to a collection of antique wicker? Table, above, my local thrift store this week, $25.
.
Do you know where your local thrift store is?
.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a lovely find, I hope you brought it home with you.

Living the life in The Little City said...

Great table. I have mixed feelings about painting old furniture, but sometimes it can be a good move. Thrift shops can be a lot of fun. Estate sales, too.

Angie said...

Can't believe the price on that table!?!

Southern Aspirations said...

great find. I'm buying the gravel for it to stand on and coming over. ;-)

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

All of my yard stuff is thrifted, it's the only way to go. Can't beat deals like my 4-piece wicker patio set for ten bucks!
http://queenoffiftycents.blogspot.com/2009/03/husbands-and-dogs-and-deals.html

Cher' Shots said...

I wish I were close enough to rescue that table. I did find an old piano bench that I thought would be perfect setting somewhere in my garden; however when I refinished it, it turned out so nice I knew it belonged in our downstairs family room. I love it there.

kayce hughes said...

Love thrifting! I am always thinking that it must be even better in Atlanta (i am in nashville). I even peruse your craig's list. (who wouldn't drive 4 hours for a great piece?)

Jess said...

Hi there.. I live in downtown Charleston, and you've hit the nail on the head about places like this (and New Orleans), its like rotting faded grandeur. The houses are so old that it takes constant $ and maintenance just to keep things from getting further down the hill, yet we have tourists in buggies passing by every day, despite (or maybe because) nothing is perfectly manicured.

Penelope Bianchi said...

Nothing wrong with painting "old" furniture...(my mother would have called it"Grand Rapids"; Just no painting antiques!!!