Tuesday, April 21, 2009


When I knew nothing about gardening, moving into this house 22 years ago, I knew to copy a garden with matching conditions. Morning sun then shade. My Grandmother had azaleas, camellias & hydrangeas, something was blooming each day of the year. Maintenance? NILL. Beauty? EXTREME.

Can you see my A/C above? It's to the left. Why does this garden work? SIMPLICITY. The 1st rule of gardening is to COPY what works.

Alas, copying & simplicity are hard. Design tools I must relearn daily. It's human nature to want flowering plants, oodles & oodles of them.
Designing, I make mistakes on the side of SIMPLICITY. It's easier to add plants, not take them away. Easier to maintain and afford, too. Most importantly, landscapes are prettier when simple.
Simplicity is a gift. Elegance is refusal.
Garden & Be Well, XO Tara


Sheila said...

A lesson I need to learn, or at least remember!

NellJean said...

George W. Tabor, one of my favs!

I would never have thought to display plates outside, but now I feel better about placing Beatrice Potter figurines in overturned clay pots in what passes as the 'fairy garden'

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

Amen to that, great advice.