Sunday, February 15, 2009

SUBSIDIARY FOCAL POINTS

I spoke in Augusta, GA at the Sacred Heart Cultural Center a couple of years ago. Display gardens in a cathedral, speakers, food, booths. It's exciting to be in another city. Knowing I'll find something unique, a new person entering my life, new ideas & something to buy for my garden.

Choosing a private home vs. an offered hotel. Saving money isn't the noble reason, pure selfishness. Curiosity about the garden, interior, cooking, lifestyle of those choosing to share their time, home and garden with me.

Often, hosts have a dinner party and I meet their friends-family. Always, a tour of gardens. Lunch at a delightful spot, the gardens chosen with care & pride. Usually it's 2 cars of serious gardeners.

Sharing on these trips has shaped my life. Lives laid bare. Decorating, good food, a child's drug use, shoes, a spouse's drinking, hats, vacations, the sister with breast cancer, divorce, sex, a parent's alzheimer's, new books, the latest movie, great bras, antiques, pets, travel & more mingle with hydrangeas, manure, granite grit and water use.

Hydrangea 'Penny Mac' above. Birdhouse, behind, bought while at the Sacred Heart lecture. Reminding me of a special time with new friends, gardens, food and conversations.

Larry Smith, 706-894-1737, thebirds@hemc.net, made the birdhouse,
"ARCHITECTURAL BIRD HOMES! Scale models of authentic historical homes and buildings throughout America. Each home is one of a kind."

My birdhouse is a replica of the Jonathan Edwards Home, circa 1760.

No comments: